My Health Story Contest
What’s YOUR health story? #Myhealthstory
School-Based Health Care Awareness Month is the time each year that we pause to celebrate the value of school-based, school-linked and school wellness programs. Each year, we ask youth across Michigan to tell us how a School-Based or School-linked Health Center has improved their health and helped them to succeed in school.
Contestants are asked to submit a 300-500 word essay about their experiences with a School-Based or School-linked Health Center. Stories will be posted daily on our website beginning in February during Awareness Month to when we host advocacy day. The story should answer one or more of the following questions:
- Why School-based health care is important to you?
- What challenges has your school-based health center helped you to overcome?
- How has school-based health care helped you become a successful student?
- Why should we continue to fund school-based health centers?
- If you could improve your center in one way, what would it be?
Here’s some examples of the past stories and a few ideas to get you thinking:
- How your center helped you build confidence or overcome a mental obstacle
- How you learned and/or adopted healthy habits from you center
- How you overcame a difficult time in your life thanks to your center
- How you built leadership skills due to your center
DUE DATE: Stories are due January 12th, 2018.
DOWNLOAD SUBMISSION FORM
- Contestants must be youth who are 21 or younger and who have used school-based health care services
- All contestants under age 18 are required to submit signed parental/guardian consent. You can download the consent form here and submit it to Kevin Lignell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A picture of the author is not required, but we strongly encourage it!
- Invitation to advocacy day as our featured youth speaker
- Featured in an exhibit at the capitol as part of our school-based health care awareness exhibit
- $25 Gift Card
- Featured in an exhibit at the capitol as part of our school-based health care awareness exhibit.
- $25 gift card
- $10 gift card.
*NOTE: All stories submitted will be featured in our blog as part of School-Based Health Care Awareness Month.
What will we use your stories for?
- All of the stories will be featured on our website blog as part of School-Based Health Care Awareness Month.
- The top stories will be included in our school-based health care awareness month exhibit in March.
- We may use a few stories when we solicit media coverage of future activities. We would ask your permission a second time before doing this.
How will winners be determined?
- A panel of SCHA-MI staff will select the top 20 stories